Thursday, December 3, 2009

Holiday Ideas

So, I keep getting asked what the kids need for Christmas, or even what they want for Christmas, and where to send it.

And I am at a loss.

They need love, food, shelter and clothing.

And that is about it.

They want candy, playtime, and whatever some other kid is playing with. It is just their nature.

I read a quote on a blog site today that really sums up the considerations I wish all toy buyers would think about before purchasing plastic stuff that does little else but turn on and make noise.
**********
Will this toy help her embrace creativity?
Will it stimulate her imagination?
Will it help her learn to be generous?
For this is the beauty-filled youth I know we all want to give our little ones…
the childhood that will teach them
to think beyond themselves and make a difference.
**********
When I packed the RV I brought puzzles, books, puppets and dress up clothes - things that make Madee play with them, instead of just watching them play themselves. And I find that already it has made a difference with her playground friendships, and confused her during indoor playgroups spilling over with plastic toys to fight over.

And that is a good thing.

I know I sound like a hippie. HELLO I live outside for the most part and do my dishes by hand. Today I smell like a hippie, so I don't really care how I sound, but I am trying to get my kids to a simpler place without all the whistles and bells and encourage them to be generous, kind and creative.

And if that makes me a hippie, pass the granola and some blocks made from a sawed up 2X4, ya'll.


No comments: